Opting out of Medicare has caused a lot of confusion for NPs and other providers. Not understanding what it means can lead to problems & fines.
In this episode of the NP Business Matters Podcast (Episode #65) I address:
- The Social Security Act and how that impacts providers.
- When you can bill Medicare and when you don’t have to.
- What it means by opting out of Medicare.
- Can you just refuse to see Medicare recipients?
- Can I just have them sign something that says they understand I don’t bill Medicare?
- I’ve never had a Medicare provider number, can I just not credential with them?
- Social Security Act Section 1848
- Medicare Claims Process Manual -CMS Mandatory Claim Submission Requirements and requirements for billing
- Mandatory Claim Submission (Noridian)
- Medicare, are you in or out?
- Opting Out of Medicare
- Catch up on all the NP Business Matters podcasts here.
- Check out the Nurse Practitioners in Business Facebook Group
- Become a Member of the NPBO™
- Ready to start your own practice?
- Looking for more ways to increase your revenue, especially with Medicare? Don Self is the undisputed expert on medical reimbursement. And he has offered anyone associated with NPBO a 10% discount on anything purchased in his store, as long as you use the coupon code “NPBO” when you check out. https/donself.com
Connect with the Podcast
You can find the NP Business Matters Podcast on popular podcasting platforms:
- Apple Podcast
- Google Podcast
- Amazon Music/Audible
- And others. You’ll also find us in your favorite podcast player.
And as always, please subscribe, leave a rating, and share with your colleagues.
If you have requests for topics and/or guests, you can leave us a comment below, or anonymously fill out this form.
I invite you to share your thoughts, ideas, and/or questions in the comments below.