Do you ever find yourself trying to decide what kind of business you want to start? You are not alone in that. It’s a question many nurses and NPs ask themselves.
In this episode and the next of the NP Business Matters podcast, I’m discussing and giving you a lot of ideas. Today we’ll discuss clinical business ideas, and in the next episode of the podcast, I’ll cover non-clinical ideas.
Components of all businesses
So before you think about the kind of business you want to start, you’ll want to understand the common components of a business.
- A business must address a need or a desire.
- A business must be able to generate revenue.
- All businesses need to market.
- All businesses need to engage in customer service.
To this list, I also added something I think is so important, especially today, and that is to conduct an ethical business.
Being able to differentiate yourself in a clinical business is important and in this part of the podcast, I discuss several ways you can do this as you think about what your business will look like. How can you adapt or modify your practice?
Clinical Business Ideas
In this section, I discuss the various type of clinical practices and how you might modify them to meet the needs of your patients, your staff, and you. I use two clinical practices (primary care and occupational med) and share how you might create something a bit different from other practices. Plus we talk about the various types of practices.
Coming up in the next episode
We’ll discuss non-clinical businesses and the types of business that you as a nurse (RN, NP, APN) can start. So be sure and subscribe to the blog for updates, and/or subscribe to the podcast on your favorite player. We’ve listed several below.
- Aqua Notes
- Mind Mapping, Mind Meister
- NP Business Matters Podcast, #32 with Renee Dahring
- Books about generating business ideas on Amazon
- Here’s a list of several articles and podcast episodes on Marketing
- Catch up on all the NP Business Matters podcasts here.
- Check out the Nurse Practitioners in Business Facebook Group
- Become a Member of the NPBO™
- Ready to start your own practice?
Connect with the Podcast
You can find the NP Business Matters Podcast on popular podcasting platforms:
- Apple Podcast
- Google Podcast
- Amazon Music/Audible
- And others. You’ll also find us in your favorite podcast player.
And as always, please subscribe, leave a rating, and share with your colleagues.
If you have requests for topics and/or guests, you can leave us a comment below, or anonymously fill out this form.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts and questions about this episode in the comments below. What type of clinical business do you have? What type do you want to start?