Let’s face it, owning a business is not for everyone. Nurse Practitioners, Physician Associates and other clinicians are all educated to be employees and many of us happen to like it that way. But then there is that strong minority of clinicians that wonder…can I? Shoud I? Do I have what it takes to own my own business.
This questions, or a close rendition is often asked by entrepreneurs in nearly every type of business. What do you think is the most important skill an entrepreneur needs in order to succeed in business? Here are some answers to that question (taken from a variety of industries). You’ll see that these skills and qualities mirror the skills we need to have in order to care for our patients. Imagine that.
- Flexibility – In any business, but especially in health care, flexibility has to be the operative word. We have certain plans for our patients, for our schedules…and well, you know this story…something comes up and you need to make a change.
- Self Confidence – A lot of things don’t happen without confidence in your abilities to provide excellent care and to rely on yourself in order to get your business up and running.
- Resourcefulness – Of course, along with flexibility, we’ve had to learn to be resourceful. With out patients, that may mean we are trying to find resources for them, or think creatively in how we are going to get them the help they need. We no no less in our own business.
- Persistence – Things don’t often happen as quickly and as easily as we plan. In many businesses, you’ve got to have persistence and the ability not to give up. While it’s always possible that the day may come when you have to throw in the towel, you’ve got to have the persistence in order to keep going.
- Creativity – Thinking outside the box is essential. Just thinking about having your own business get us outside of our self imposed boxes. However in order to really thrive…you have to scribble outside the lines.
- Compassion – You’ve got the compassion for your patients, but don’t forget to have a bit for yourself and your family as well. You are all in this together.
- Innovative – What can you do differently and better than everyone else in your niche? What can you take from an unrelated niche and apply it to healthcare and your patient population – especially if it will change how something will be done. Be innovative and you’ll be successful.
- Decisiveness – You have to make decisions. Period. They may not be popular decisions, but you get to make them nevertheless. It will have to do with business, payroll, staffing, patients, contracts and oh so much more.
- Organized – Yes, we’ve got to get organized. You’ll be doing so much more than you are doing now and your life will be so much easier if you get, and stay organized. You are wearing a dozen or more hats…believe me , it helps to be organized.
Yes, there is a lot more, but these are the most common I’ve seen written by other business owners. Let us know what you think are the most important qualities that business owners should have. What are your top three business tips?